Culinary Tourist Guide Certification
As the number of culinary tour companies grows, so does the demand for culinary tourist guides. There is a wide range of talent among culinary guides. Some guides have been professionally trained, while many others have not. Some guides have great personalities, but limited knowledge of the local culinary culture, which is a disservice to their customers. This certification is designed to train to a consistent level, and then assess the visitor experience offered by culinary tourist guides, with the end goal of delivering a high-quality culinary tour with the highest chance of receiving the highest ratings from customers. The certification is suitable for culinary tourist guides of all types, including food tourist guides, wine tourist guides, beer tourist guides, distillery tourist guides, food/beverage manufacturing tourist guides, and similar roles. Tour directors and tour managers are also eligible to apply. This is certification course 04 in a series of certifications offered by the World Food Travel Association.
Note that this certification covers the components of guiding culinary tours specifically. If you are interested in developing or managing a culinary tour operator company, consider enrolling in our Culinary Tour Operator Certification as well.
The training is relevant for both food or beverage tourist guides, as well as regular guides who occasionally work in food or beverage tours. Suitable for tourist guides specializing in food tours, wine tours, beer tours, cheese tours, chocolate tours, restaurant tours, market tours, farm tours, etc. Open to anyone anywhere in the world.
- Understand the culinary tourist guide profession
- Learn what makes culinary tours so special
- Learn what a good culinary tourist guide should do – and not do
- Learn what food- and beverage-loving travelers like and don’t like – and the best ways to meet their needs while on tour
- Understand the characteristics of a successful culinary tourist guide
- Learn what to do to not just meet, but exceed, customer expectations
- Learn how to solve specific types of problems unique to culinary tours
The standalone training is available to anyone. However, to be eligible for certification, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a professional tourist guide, tour director, or tour manager.
- If you are a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations, then let us know, as we have a special application process for you (for example, you do not need to submit letters of reference or a copy of your business license.)
- Does your area require a valid guide license and/or badge? If so, you will be asked to upload a copy of your currently valid (not expired) license. If not, you will need to explain why your area does not require tourist guides to be licensed.
- A copy of your valid business license (as a professional tourist guide). (WFTGA members can skip this.)
- Two letters of support/recommendation from industry (such as vendors you work with, tourism office, or companies that employ you as a guide, etc.) (WFTGA members can skip this.)
- If you are a tourist guide in Singapore, please contact us for special circumstances.
If you do not meet the prerequisites and still enroll in the course, you can take the full training but be ineligible for certification. Questions? You can reach out to us here.
- Initial screening application (certification enrollees only)
- Two training videos (English language narration with closed caption English-language subtitles)
- Comprehension test
- Optional resources (podcast & downloads)
- Comprehensive essay
- Faculty advisor time (1 x 30-minute call plus email support)
- After enrollment, you will have 45 calendar days to complete the course. Additional time may be purchased for €50 per additional 30 days, up to a maximum of an additional 150 days.
What You Get After Course Completion (Benefits)
- Training enrollees get a completion certificate showing 3 total learning hours. No other benefits.
- Certification enrollees get the following benefits instead:
- Completion certificate showing your certification (print yourself and frame for your office) (see example)
- Color enamel lapel pin to wear on tour (see example)
- One-year premium level subscription for your Culinary-Certified Tourist Guide listing on our World Food Travel Market website (see example)
- A larger version of the digital certified guide badge for your website (see example)
- Gain knowledge and confidence to excel as a culinary tourist guide
- Gain valuable marketing visibility
- Join the ranks of the top culinary tourist guides and tour operators around the world
- Understand your customers better
- Get tips and ideas on how to handle your customers better